[OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth

Subject: [OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 16:24:19 -0600
AG Schnozz wrote:
> Remove ONE row of pixels from the edge of the file!  Now the 8x8
> block of the previous save will not line up with the new save.  The
> algorithm becomes lossy all over again.

  Oh, definitely -- but I suspect the losses may not be _noticeable_ as
long as you use a high enough quality setting.

  It'd be interseting to try that, but the quickest I can think of to do
that would be pbmplus (or re-learn photoshop scripting, because while I
knew that a while ago, I've totally forgotten it all since then) and the
last time I tried pbmplus, the Windows port had some issues.

  The secret with jpegs is definitely workflow -- the fewer times you do
save-as-jpeg and then reopen the saved image, the better, and I don't
find it all that difficult to avoid that with a bit of forethought.

  I actually spent time as part of my job looking very closely at jpegs
a few years ago and tweaking quality settings for the task at hand --
which has resulted in an unfortunate oversensitivity to jpeg artefacts
in everyday use..

-- dan