[OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth

Subject: [OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:06:21 -0700
> From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> So as a practical rule, should I first convert the out-of-camera
> jpg to
> a psd or tif and as A. Alces says, convert to 16 bit before editing?

The correct answer to any question of moderate or greater complexity
is, "It depends!" :-)

If the image is very dark or light and you're going to be making
drastic changes to it, then editing in 16 bits can keep you from
"combing" the histogram, or quantizing to a small number of buckets,
which can cause posterization in gradient areas.

On the other hand, if you just need to make a few minor corrections
and then never edit it again, I wouldn't even bother saving it as
anything but JPEG.

Of course, the folks who buy oxygen-free cables for their stereos and
put green rings on their CDs will no doubt argue with my "good
enough" workflow.

:::: The next-to-the last time the world saw a one-party democracy
was Nazi Germany. ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com ::::