[OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth

Subject: [OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:20:24 -0700
> From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
>
>> You needn't convert it to any format, simply to 16-bit.
>>
> As I understand jpeg, each time a file is saved, some information is
> discarded.

More precisely, each time you save, close, and re-open a file,
information is lost.

If you save periodically without re-opening (and "Revert to Saved" is
definitely re-opening), then you only have one generation of
degradation, NOT one for each save.

:::: Giving society cheap, abundant energy at this point would be the
equivalent of giving an idiot child a machine gun. -- Paul Ehrlich ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::