[OM] Re: Mooning other photographers

Subject: [OM] Re: Mooning other photographers
From: "Scott Peden" <scotpeden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 00:27:04 -0700
> Scott asks;
>
> What kind of stuff did you do in the processing to get that dramatic
change
> from Joel's pic to your rendition of it? I would love to play with some of
> my crisper moon shots and see what happens.

As it happens, I was curious about your 500/8 Seimar, so I already
checked out your moon shots with it in PS when you posted
it.

http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Peden/SeiVivMoon2.htm

The immediate problems are lack of contrast and that the image is almost
all in the lower half of the histogram. The roll-over shows the result
of some combination of Levels, Curves and LCE to spread the image out in
the histogram, adjust tonal distribution and add both global contrast
and local contrast.

The next issue is sharpness. The click-over shows the result of
sharpening, and perhaps some LCE, I don't recall  the details. Each
different image needs to be done differently in any case. The result is
perhaps a bit over the top for presentation, but I was interested in
seeing how much actual detail the lens captured.
PS equals Photo Shop?
If so that explains why I understand so few of the phrases you used, I never
had the time to learn that, to many irons in the fire all at one time, most
of the time, though doing picture manipulation has been more of an interest.
Getting a good shot of the moon, clean and crisp, has been a goal of mine
for sometime.
What you did was truly amazing, increase the contrast was about all I
understood, but the beginner photo programs I have used deliver about what I
paid for them. free of cost, free of great quality.
I want some other camera gear, but have been holding off on selling the
Seimar 500, even though I now have the Sigma 600. Hard to believe that the
Seimar gave me the best shot I had so far from my meager attempts with the
C-series cameras.

I still have a Photoshop 7 or some sort of program around somewhere, but how
to use it? I immediately get bombarded with names of things and nearly
nothing has a label to tell me what those things are. There has to be
something somewhere that describes the names of the items and what each item
is suppose to do, like sharpness, contrast
**********

Do you recall the 'Bay auction I sent you for a neutral filter for the
Sigma?
********
I must have missed that one. I looked for 22.5 mm filters for that several
times and found nothing.

I have life in the Cuisenaire, pulse mode, the off switch is broke.
Tween having to have this place ready to be cleaned in under 2weeks, after
moving out to who knows where, my dearest friend was just told she had 2
weeks to live, lung cancer, so I'm spending time there as much as I can.
Scott