[OM] Re: Free to good home/homes

Subject: [OM] Re: Free to good home/homes
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 06:43:09 -0400
I have no experience with the 75-210 but I owned a 70-150/3.8 for many
years before finally abandoning it for my all time favorite lens, the
Kiron 70-150/4.  My recollection is that the Vivitar is a two-touch,
therefore no zoom creep.  It is also made of heavytanium which is why
the Kiron won out.  But it also made very nice images.  Somewhere in my
K2 slide collection are a lot of very nice images of Amsterdam shot with
that lens including a couple taken with the Vivitar matched 2X multiplier.

As to the fungal infection, another of my favorites is the Vivitar
Series 1 90/2.5 (with 1:1 adapter).  That was purchased from a list
member (I've forgotten who) many years ago (6 or 7?) for only $50.  The
reason for the low price was a pea sized fungal spot.  I took the chance
and getting rid of the fungus turned out to be no more difficult than
removing the front element and applying a spot of cold cream to its
behind.  No visible coating damage and the lens has stayed fungus free
long enough to be put to good duty on a 5D as well as the OM's.

You could do a lot worse while also paying for the privilege.  Get 'em
while they're hot.

Chuck Norcutt