[OM] Re: Mooning other photographers

Subject: [OM] Re: Mooning other photographers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 07:35:43 -0400
Scott Peden wrote:
I still have a Photoshop 7 or some sort of program around somewhere, but
how to use it?
--------------------------

If you want to learn PhotoShop this is the book I'd recommend.
"Photoshop Restoration & Retouching, Second Edition" by Katrin Eismann.
  While this book is actually in its third edition, if you buy the
second edition you can get it used through Amazon for as little as
$13.89 and it won't use any PhotoShop tricks that aren't in your
PhotoShop version 7.  Despite the title, the first 3 or 4 chapters are
all about basic PhotoShop operations applicable to any photographic
image.  The only thing it won't teach you is LCE (Local Contrast
Enhancement) which you can find here after Katrin has taught you the
more conventional use of the unsharp mask filter.
<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast-enhancement.shtml>

When I first tried learning PhotoShop I went out and bought one of the
"dummies" books.  Big mistake.  That book attempted to teach me
everything there was to know about PhotoShop to turn me into a graphics
designer.  I found its attempts at humor bothersome and most of the
content had little or nothing to do with photography.  Eismann's book is
only about photographic use and, as I said, despite the title, you'll
find that at least 2/3's of the book is all about basic PhotoShop
editing that is applicable to all images, not just restoration work.

Highly recommended.  Check the used books link on this page for a good deal.

<http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Restoration-Retouching-Second-Eismann/dp/0735713502/ref=sr_1_3/103-3192476-2323027?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176203158&sr=8-3>

Chuck Norcutt