[OM] Re: The Shock of Influence

Subject: [OM] Re: The Shock of Influence
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:59:13 +1000
What do they say after you tell them that. Threats to sue? After all,
can't be their own fault can it.
My favorite was was when I was manning the enquiry line for a small
appliance company (we all took a turn - it was character building).
Had one who couldn't understand why, after she dunked an electrical
appliance in a sink of soapy water to clean it and then immediately
plugged it in and switched on, 'it just, y'know, exploded. It
shouldn't do that should it?' The second part wasn't really a question.
Replies like 'you're lucky to be alive' fell on deaf ears. It was
clearly our fault for not making waterproof fans and we'd put her at
risk, right?! I was tempted to suggest that she try it with a few
more household appliances like a hair dryer for instance but we
replaced it - on condition that she cleaned it in accordance with the
directions in the instructions in future. Company policy. She wasn't
in the least grateful - still quite convinced that we were evil and
that a replacement was her god-given right.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx