[OM] Re: The Shock of Influence

Subject: [OM] Re: The Shock of Influence
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:04:59 +0800
Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmmm.  Must have been more than a few years back, Sandy.  ...

Late 70s, as I recall.

> I think you've been depending on urban legend rather than real data.

No, I'm recalling reading a CR publication. Long enough ago that
the recall is hazy, and it is possible I misread it in the first place.
But I clearly recall the shock and amusement.

> I've been a CR subscriber for close to 40 years.  They're far from
> perfect

We agree there.

> but there's nothing else that even comes close for product
> function and reliability data.

Yes, they are the only ones I know of trying to do something
that is basically important and worthwhile.

However, as a previous post said, their methods are quite
dubious by the standard statistical criteria for research and,
as I think my example showed, sometimes  they get it
quite wrong.

So take them with a grain of salt.

--
Sandy Harris