[OM] Re: Favorite A-S plates, L-brackets for OM

Subject: [OM] Re: Favorite A-S plates, L-brackets for OM
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:39:38 -0700
I couldn't disagree more regarding the AS compatible plate/clamp system
versatility. Please take a look at the options with the multipurpose rail
section on the RRS site and see how much one can build from the basic
blocks. I will certainly not deny that they come at a price but are in my
opinion worth it. They are definitely not jewelry for me, just the best fit
tool for the job I need them to do and a total system approach (unlike the
Manfrotto multiple plate/clamp size arrangement). The only major deviation I
can see is the lever clamps versions that RRS make are 100% compatible with
other brand plates. Since I use an Acratech head with its original screw
clamp head 95% of the time this last issue is not a major one for me
personally (I also have an RRS mini clamp on my monopod).

For example I can use the pieces from Pano Elements package to create either
a Wimberley like gimble head or a nodal point rotation system for pano
shots. I have personally used both with the E System to great effect. The
gimble arrangement worked well for lenses up to 350mm (the longest I
currently own). There isn't even an option that I am aware of for a gimble
head from Manfrotto let alone the modules to build one from common elements.

Mike, regarding the Kirk version of the MPR-CL, it does look like a useful
alternative to the fixed position RRS types. It does look like you need to
undo the screw to change orientation of the clamp though. The RRS parallel
solution to this is a non clamp MPR and a screw on mini clamp. Beyond that
they have a mini clamp pair which instantly creates a focusing rail and
allows for orientation changes, though again with the need for a tool.
Personally I think the RRS solution may be more flexible in the long run
with more dual use potential.

I have no connection to RRS other than being a satisfied user.

Dan S.