[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:10:58 -0500
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:27:52 -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:

>> From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:54:30 -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:
>>
>>> I should
>>> have more precisely said that the rate of increase in world grain
>>> output has been declining, and is no longer keeping up with the rate
>>> of increase in demand.
>>
>> In other words, world grain production is NOT in decline, but is in
>> fact increasing.

>But not as fast as demand, thus a "relative" decline exists.

Please. You're equating a short term response to market forces to a long term
change in production capacity. Grain production continues to increase each and
every year, as does production
efficiency. At least be honest about your numbers.

>Before you say, "That's not a real decline," tell that to the person
>who can no longer afford to eat.

If you'll stop with the hyperbole, I'd be happy to discuss this with you.
However, the US enjoys the least expensive food and fiber in the world, and
farm prices constitute the tiniest possible
percentage of consumer food prices. No one is going hungry because corn and
bean prices are better than they were a year ago.

--
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company