[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:06:42 -0700
> From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> What will happen
> when oil gets too costly is that our economy will be wrecked.

I agree completely; that's why I'm working towards joining the "non-
economy." Our goal is to make a living without involving the economy.

As we were walking to the mailbox at the end of our street today, we
saw our neighbor struggling to get his hay rake out of his barn.
There's an airplane in there he was trying to avoid smashing. So the
three of us helped him carefully push it out.

Early this winter, we had huge windstorms -- some say, a harbinger of
things to come under global climate change. The winds took down a few
big fir trees on the same neigbor's property, and he offered them to
us for fire wood.

That's an investment in human capital. We intend to be growing most
of our own food before the "economy is wrecked," and to to be well-
connected in our little community, everybody "owing" each other,
which makes everyone come together in hard times.

Moving to Canada was a big part of that strategy. Perhaps there won't
always be universal health care here, but you have to make thousands
of dollars a year just to afford health insurance in the US. I know
many differ, but I think the government's job is to "provide for the
common welfare" of its citizens, not send youngsters who are too
young to know better off to die so that Mercans can drive vehicles
that get under 20 mpg.

:::: Bush thanked the Canadians for their "Five-finger welcome." What
he forgot to mention was that was the total from five separate
Canadians. -- Randi Rhodes ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::