[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:52:37 -0500
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:15:45 -0700, Winsor Crosby wrote:

>Apparently you were uninterested
>in reading any of the references that outlined the relationship
>between the price of corn and hunger in Mexico.

I read them. I disagree with them.

> It would be amusing
>if it were not so common to see someone from an area of the country
>that likes to thump its chest and trumpet its superior values to be
>blind to the plight of others when it comes to profit.

If that's how you feel I've behaved or that US ag has behaved, I don't suppose
there's much I can do. Doesn't sound to me like you're open to what I have to
say. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

>> No I haven't, but I'd question the reasonableness of an argument
>> that suggests Mexican poverty has more to do with US grain prices
>> than it does with the Mexican government.

>You continue to throw out this red herring.

I'm sorry you think its a red herring. To my mind, it goes directly to the
heart of the problem. I'm sorry you doubt my sincerity.

> Of course the Mexican
>government has to do with Mexican poverty, and so does our trade
>relationship with Mexico. That is another issue and you have
>attempted to change the subject. The subject was your error in
>asserting that there was no relationship between hunger and the
>delightful rise in corn prices.

I believe that is true. I also believe that poverty is the cause of hunger and
that the Mexican government could do more to build their economy and feed their
hungry. I even believe that the Mexican
government has more to do with Mexican hunger that a corn farmer in Peach
Orchard, MO.

> The fact that I gave you information
>you could read and disabuse yourself of that, or that you could not
>figure that out for yourself without news reports, and you still
>assert it means to me that your own self interest is more important
>than any truth or moral issue.

Sorry you think so little of me. I'm even sorrier that the fact that we see a
political/economic issue differently would make you think my avarice is such
that I have no moral compass.

>C'mon admit it. You just don't care. I can accept that. It is the
>little lie which is so absurd as to insult the intelligence in order
>to justify a point of view that is hard to take.

I'll admit it. I'm insulted and angered by your assault on my character. But
rather than launch into an ad hominem, I'll lament the fact that we weren't
able to have a civil discussion, and that you're
not open to opposing views or perspectives. All in all, if you believe what
you've written here, though, you might save yourself grief and aggravation by
avoiding my posts in the future, lest you suffer
more exposure to my avaricious, amoral, self-absorbed ideas.

Have a nice day, and feel free to stop by the farm sometime. We'll stop
oppressing the poor people of the world long enough to take you to lunch or
compare Zuiko lenses or something.

BB

--
Barry B. Bean