[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:42:30 -0500
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:45:04 -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:

>> From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Maybe so. But please allow me to suggest you spend a little more
>> time talking to farmers and commodity traders and a little less
>> time listening to people several steps removed from commodity
>> production. You might learn something.

>Ah, that's what it always comes down to: "I'm right and your wrong,
>because I know where you get your information."

I'm disappointed to see that that's how you choose to understand what I wrote.

>Well, I'm a member of Canadian Organic Growers, and attend monthly
>meetings, seminars, and classes, and have been working on an area
>farm plan with others in our community, with the goal of making our
>island community self-sufficient in food within ten years. But I
>guess I'm talking to the wrong farmers, then, because they don't seem
>to be saying the same things YOUR farmer friends are saying.

Please note that while I fully respect your experience, I don't believe small
scale organic agriculture of the type you practice has that much to do with the
 realities of the production agriculture
practiced in the US or most of the world. Self-sufficient organic operations
are a wonderful thing where they can work, however, there are huge swaths of
the country where that option simply isn't
available  And Fwiw, I don't base my opinions on what my friends are saying. I
work very closely with the University, several state and federal agencies,
commodity groups, elected officials, and
producers and traders in several countries. I won't trot out my full resume (no
need to engage in weenie waving), but please rest assured that when you read my
posts, you are not simply reading the
idle thoughts I heard at the coffee shop this morning.

I might even note that I have several friends who operate small organic
operations or live in communes. From the looks of your website, you'd have a
lot in common with many of them. I hear from
people who share your perspective on a regular basis.

>We have a basic difference, Barry, one which we share with Moose: you
>believe in commodities, I believe in localization. That's why I say
>we must "agree to disagree." I don't try to make you look stupid.
>Please give me the same respect.

Sorry you took my comments that way. I don't think you're stupid. I do,
however, believe you are misguided.

--
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company