[OM] Re: Cheap OM-->4/3rds adaptors [Was: Re: [OT] alternative fuels deb

Subject: [OM] Re: Cheap OM-->4/3rds adaptors [Was: Re: [OT] alternative fuels debate response]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:40:23 -0700
Jan Steinman wrote:
> REQUISITE OM STUFF: I got five of those cheap Chinese OM-->4/3rds
> adaptors in the mail -- ended up paying $14 each, including shipping
> from Shanghai. Although the machine work and finish look good, they
> fit real sloppy and rattled. The fit was so poor that I could wiggle
> the 500/8 mirror about 1/8th of the height of the frame!
>
> But the good news is that (with the help of #3 reading glasses), I
> noticed that the flanges each had a radial slot in them. (You can see
> it in the evilBay photo, as well.) I found I could stick an Xacto
> blade into those slots and twist slightly, spreading the flange
> toward the camera. Now I have a nice, tight fit!

I had the same problem with my first OM=>EF adapter, although mot at
extreme as you describe. It looks like a hand, made, one off job, and I
think the maker used the wrong brass, too easily deformed/not springy
enough.

I did the same thing you did, and the problem seemed solved, but the
next heavy/long lens putting strain on the mount would close the flanges
again. I ended up cutting some small shims that I glued in the kerfs.
That did the job according to short term testing. I've since bought
another, better quality adapter from jnfinance that was inexpensive and
has worked so far without a hitch.

I'm not trying to imply you will have the same problem, although the
apparent ease with which you bent the flanges back makes it seem
possible, just letting you know what worked for me if you do run into it.

Moose