[OM] Re: Part-time female photographers - interesting read

Subject: [OM] Re: Part-time female photographers - interesting read
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 04:12:55 +0800
You guys are fortunate to have women enjoying photography. Over in Malaysia,
women in general just don't have it in them to like it. They believe that
photography is a 'man's thing'. Some sneer at photography and ask why on
earth would anyone want to waste their time on a kiddy hobby...I know of one
woman who works at my sister's school who purchased a digital compact not
because she'd use it but because she could give it to the tour guide to take
photos for her when she's on holiday.

Therefore when I come across a woman who says she likes photography, I'm
near to fainting. So far I have come across less than a dozen. My sis is a
natural at it and you can see her works in flickr under the name 'maycos60.'
I have a close friend whose undersea images - via the E-300 and E-500 are
actually quite good and they're also found all over the net. Another one
doesn't do much on a serious scale but nonetheless it's good to see her
involvement. Beyond these three where I am, there are just a few others in
other parts of the country. But it's sad.

I'm not sure what we can really do to encourage women to get into
photography. Any ideas?

So consider yourself quite fortunate in that sense.

K.

On 18/04/07, ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/17/07, Jez Cunningham <jez.cunningham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > 43 out of 90 members of my photo club are women...
>
> My wife helps out on some of my photo shoots.  When I was shooting
> film, she'd sweat bullets until the proofs came back, demanding to
> know, "Aren't you NERVOUS?"  Uh, no.
>
> The instant feedback of digital encourages her to relax . . . somewhat.
>
> ScottGee1

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Khen Lim