[OM] Engineering vs ergonomics, was: How many screws are there in an E-1

Subject: [OM] Engineering vs ergonomics, was: How many screws are there in an E-1?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:16:50 -0400
That was an instant reminder of a complaint letter I sent to Celestron
in 1974 after buying my Celestron 8.  It came with a heavy duty aluminum
and steel field tripod and an adjustable equatorial "wedge" so you can
readily switch from terrestrial to astronomical observing.  Problem was
there are lots of Allen headed screws involved in adjustments and all
the bits to hold everything together.  Trying to assemble all of this
stuff in the dark with 1/2 dozen different sized screws and Allen
wrenches was a pain.  I wrote them a long letter complaining that all
the different size screws were apparently sized from a standpoint of
minimal required strength from an engineering standpoint rather than
risking some deliberate over-engineering in favor of minimizing the
number of different screws and wrenches to simplify assembly in the
dark.  They ignored me.

Chuck Norcutt