[OM] Re: Quantum T series flashes - anyone with experience?

Subject: [OM] Re: Quantum T series flashes - anyone with experience?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:14:20 -0700
I believe between the T2/X2 and T4/X4 Quantum redesigned the reflector
slightly. The 2 series has a slightly adjustable reflector position
for "normal" or "wide". I find it useful. The two different plastic
diffusers are also nice giviing slightly different coverage. The
Quantum made softbox (esentially an inverted square umbrella) is easy
to carry, but looks pretty small for portraits. It works fairly well
for reducing hot spots reflected from kitchen cabinets. The barebulb
flash is quite useful. I've seldom used the barebulb enhancer. Having
the light reflect off the wall is generally why I use bare bulb. The
enhancer allows all of the flash to be reflected off the wall opposite
of the subject or none, as desired.

Probably the biggest reason to consider the newer versions, is the TTL
modes they support. I'm not sure if I've ever even used the auto mode.
If you use manual, I don't see any real advantage for the newer
versions. Quantum does make a flatter softbox that I believe only
works with the newer versions. It would be handy in small rooms but I
don't see it having any advantage for portraits.

I use 400ws X2's. They have the power to light up a covered porch from
25 feet at noon (ISO 100).  I like the large heavy lead acid batteries
the X flashes have but I place flashes around the inside of a home and
don't have to carry them very far. I think the T system with it's
lighter weight and somewhat lower cost makes a better general purpose
flash than the X system. The big X system battery normally lets me
bracket exposures as quickly as I can press the shutter release.

Scott's comment about industrial strength is the main attraction of
the Quantum flashes. The battery capacity, recyclling time, and
adjustability make it so that I don't have to worry about the flash,
only the photographer.

If you use the QFlashes enough to justify owning them, you'll want to
go wireless. Not worrying about cords is a big timesaver and provides
peace of mind.

Good luck,
-jeff