[OM] Re: End of Still Cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: End of Still Cameras
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:34:34 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Interesting point of view here. The end of still cameras in ten
> years. The end of 4x3 and 8x10 and verticals.  I should have waited.
>
> http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0704/the-coming-earthquake-in-
> photography.html

Maybe a little overstated, but that way it pushes conventional thinking,
which seems a useful thing to me.

For his field, I think he is right. Some short term results, like the
appalling artifacts and lack of detail in some newspaper photos
recently, are pretty poor, but I believe that is already being sorted out.

And he is likely right about Canon leading the way for old line camera
makers. Last year's S3 IS is already a hybrid that's very capable as
both still and video camera - with a separate start-stop button for
movies and stills. My Sony video camera has a separate button to capture
stills from the video capture onto a flash memory card. I think he is
right that the distinction will continue to blur.

He's wrong about the death of film in his time frame, but only as a
matter of degree. It is already morphing from a primary medium to a
niche for hobby and fine art uses.

And I think he is wrong about format for anything other than pure
journalism delivered largely in video form. I think the human visual
system will still find vertical formats preferable for many subjects,
still or moving. I suspect that, to the extent that magazines survive,
the current format that allows full page for large verticals and double
page for large horizontals will remain dominant.

Serious amateur and pro fine arts photographers will continue to use
those formats that best meet their expressive needs. But that's really
far from where this editorial's interests lie.

Moose