[OM] Re: Fwd: [epson2200] Re: Prints that look like darkroom

Subject: [OM] Re: Fwd: [epson2200] Re: Prints that look like darkroom
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 20:33:24 -0700
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Winsor Crosby wrote:
>>
>> Meant to say to fool the customer that it is more than an inkjet
>> print.
>>
>> If I remember correctly the word "giclee"(screw the accent) was
>> applied to an early Iris printer that has long been outmoded.
>>
> Exactly! I first learned the story from Harald Johnson's book on
> printing. I believe Jan has lived this as a pro high end printmaker.

I think the common definitions are a bit, shall we say, tamed down
for a PG audience.

My understanding of the story is that Duganne and Nash were mulling
over what to call this thing they were doing. Graham Nash said that
they needed a "sexy" name, and in response, Duganne, who had recently
spent some time doing "anthropological research" in red light
districts in Paris, suggested "giclée," which in the vernacular,
(perhaps *only* in certain red-light districts of Paris), refers to a
particular sort of squirting that only males do.

I think Harald Johnson told me this story when I was reviewing drafts
before publication, but it may have been someone else.

There is an organization that has trademarked the phrase "True
Giclée," which allows them to control the use of that term. Those of
us who do (little "g") giclée prints tend to use their definition,
which characterizes such prints as:

1) coming from a printer capable of printing at least 48" media
(Rumoured specifically to exclude the Epson 9600, which was the
biggest they had at the time)
2) having a lifetime of 20 or 60 or 100 "Wilhelms", depending on
which printers they were trying to exclude
3) utilizing six or more *distinct* colours, to exclude the so-called
"six colour" printers with watered-down cyan and magenta
4) having a full colour resolution of no less than 300 dpi, or a
separate colour dot pitch of no less than 1440 dpi, to exclude the
early HP "plotters"

You can put crayon on wallpaper and call it "giclée," but most fine-
art printmakers use some semblance of the points above that still
includes their printer, in order to distinguish their prints from
common photo printers.

For some strange reason, the term never caught on in Europe. Perhaps
the high-end art patrons weren't thrilled with the notion of hanging
"ejaculate" on their walls.

:::: Trusting to escape scrutiny, by fixing the public gaze upon the
exceeding brightness of military glory -- that attractive rainbow,
that rises in showers of blood -- that serpent's eye, that charms to
destroy -- he plunged into war -- Abraham Lincoln on President Polk ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::