[OM] ? about specs for new computer

Subject: [OM] ? about specs for new computer
From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:47:18 EDT
I'm starting to get the itch for a new generation computer, and want to ask
some advice of this august group about the video subsystem, in particular. I
know we've got several IT professionals among our number in addition to folks
who are heavily into digital processing of photographs.

I started down this road by thinking about getting a new monitor to replace
my aging Samtron 19" CRT. The Samsung 226BW looks interesting. 22" widescreen,
2  ms response time, 1000:1 native contrast ratio (claimed 3000:1 in
"dynamic"  mode, which I understand would need to be turned off for photo
editing). I
don't  really have space for a bigger screen. Then I discovered the video card
in my  current computer won't adequately support that monitor. You know how
it  works.

I'm thinking about having my local guy put together a new box for me, along
the lines of a fast dual core processor,  PCI-E video capability, 2MB  (more?)
of fast RAM, etc. I've been happy processing photos with PS Elements 3,  but
will probably upgrade to v 5 if I get a new computer. This will be a Windows
machine to maintain compatibility with my office computers. I'll probably
stick  with XP since I think it's a little too soon to jump to Vista.

Questions:
1) What kind of specs do I need on the video card to drive the monitor at
its native resolution (1680 x 1050) and 32 bit color depth, and have enough
on-board memory for photo editing? I don't plan on any gaming or anything else
that would put more of a load on the video system. Any specific card
recommendations are welcomed.

2) Are 10,000 RPM drives available, yet, and reliable, or is it too  soon to
buy one? Are they noticeably faster than 7,200 RPM drives? Is the
cost/performance ratio justifiable?

3) Any other comments are welcomed.

Thanks!
Greg

OM content: I use my computer to edit photos taken on film with my OM gear
and scanned. :-)