[OM] Re: Hoya Pro1 DMC question

Subject: [OM] Re: Hoya Pro1 DMC question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:34:47 -0400

Moose wrote:

> If the image is captured in color, it is certainly possible to apply
> selective color to it before or in the process of converting to B&W. PS
> starting with CS2 even includes filters that emulate physical photo
> filters. However, the great B&W mavens insist that color capture, film
> or digital, and conversion to B&W does not create that same magic of
> which B&W film is capable, at least in their hands.

Capturing in color and post-processing for B&W was the only thing I
intended to address.

> Being no B&W expert, and understanding that, perhaps more than color,
> the subtleties of a fine B&W print simply don't translate to a web
> image, I bow to their expertise and include filters for B&W among those
> that can't be fully duplicated in the digital darkroom.

Web images may be a different case but I don't accept that
post-processed digital color converted to B&W can't compete with film
and wet processing.  It takes very good paper and inks but I think the
result can be every bit as good.

> For my un-expert self, my entry in the B&W TOPE was shot in color and
> converted to B&W, with a lot of experimentation with the effects of
> different "filtering" to get the tonal balance I wanted.
> http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=13&pic=30
> <http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=13&pic=30>

A most excellent image which I'm sure would look superb as a large wall
print.

Chuck Norcutt