[OM] Re: Hoya Pro1 DMC question

Subject: [OM] Re: Hoya Pro1 DMC question
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:21:57 -0700
> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Moose wrote:
>>
>> For B&W, filters still do things digital processing can't match.
>> It can
>> do some similar things, like darkening skies and enhancing clouds,
>> but
>> not the same things. Selective filtering based on color info that
>> is no
>> longer there is pretty tough.
>
> But I don't agree with this point.

As photo editor for a B&W publication, I agree with Chuck's
disagreement.

Played with the channel mixer? I would submit that you can do
anything with a colour image and the channel mixer that you can do
with filters and B&W film -- and even more. I have great fun prepping
colour images for press. Woman's face the same brightness as the
coloured background? She blends in and fades out when converted to
monochrome? No problem! Just use the channel mixer so that the
colours in the background map into a different brightness range than
the colours in the woman's face do.

Apple Aperture even has a bunch of presets in its channel mixer that
emulate the spectral response of various films. I can look at a
picture as it would have been rendered onto Tri-X or Agfa or any of a
couple dozen other classic B&W emulsions.

> But perhaps I'm just ignorant...  So, what did you mean that I
> don't understand?

Yea, it would be good to have some examples of what can be done with
B&W film and filters that cannot be done with a colour image and
channel mixing.

Or were you referring to manipulating B&W images? Your "color info
that is no longer there" comment implies that. In that case, I agree
with Moose. I hate it when writers "helpfully" set their digicam to
shoot B&W or do the conversion themselves. Hey, it's a B&W magazine,
so they assume I need B&W photos -- NOT!

 From what I understand of colour theory, shooting B&W film through a
colour filter is exactly equivalent to manipulating a colour image
with the channel mixer set to the same colour as the colour filter.

:::: The Earth isn't a pizza. You can't dial up and have one
delivered! -- Alf ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.EcoReality.org> ::::