[OM] Re: Zuiko Trip

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko Trip
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 23:55:45 EDT

In a message dated 4/22/2007 4:51:25 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
USHER99@xxxxxxx writes:

Undecided:  Macro kit---want to bring the auto tube and 135/4.5  and  80mm
and
Viv S1 90.  Volume is more of a concern than  weight as long as I  can take
it
carry-on.

What I've found myself doing in the past is carrying way more than I really
needed.  If we are talking close ups of butterflies, I would probably  include
a 90mm, and perhaps something in the 180 to 200mm range and a set of  auto
extension tubes, as opposed to the telescoping auto tube. I frequently  use a
short telephoto (85 or 100mm) and a tube to get in close with insects  which
aren't too mobile. The tubes can be used with all your lenses, while the  auto
telescopying one can not.  Sitting on horseback for 8 hours a day  doesn't
sound
like a leisurely "set your tripod and lights up and capture that  perfect
National Geographic butterfly" kind of deal to me.  I'd probably  pack a small
medium diffuser and a small reflector.

Others I might take to round it out a bit might be the 50-250mm,  a 2X or
1.4X, probably the 21mm f2, and the 50mm 1.4.  Rather than the  XA, I might
take
an OM and the Zuiko 35-105mm.

Speaking of the Tamron 400mm f4 or not, I took my class on a field trip
Saturday and carried the Tamron 300mm f2.8 to which I'd attached a 1.4X for
doing
some stuff with the alligators and birds.  We also ended up using it  with a
25mm extension for doing some flowers.  Nice!  Love those  extension tubes.
Bill Barber