[OM] Re: [OT]Can*n Keeps Moving

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]Can*n Keeps Moving
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 03:22:54 -0700
Walt Wayman wrote:
> I'll go ya one better. My first car was a 1954 MG TD. It was fun some of the
> time, except for those stupid side curtains instead of windows, and the fact
> it had the FORD syndrome (Fix or repair daily, or, Found on road dead).
>
> I traded it in on a '55 Chevy Bel Air red and white sports coupe, which might
> have been the best car I've ever owned. I accidentally drove it off a flooded
> road and sank it nearly up to the windshield once. A nearby farmer drove his
> Farmall up and pulled me out. The engine started right up, despite having
> been under water. They just don't make them like that anymore.

I combined the two. First car was a Simca, all I could afford, or so I
thought. I learned a fair amount about working on cars and the important
lesson that lowest initial cost doesn't mean lowest overall cost. It
hardly ever ran and my clever first wife was able to save the final
indignity by persuading someone to haul it away for free while I was off
at boot camp.

Second car was a white over green '55 Chevy with hand rebuilt 265 bored
out to 283, Corvette CR 4 speed on the floor replacing the original
slip-o-matic. Still had the original long rear end 'cause the guy
building it had to join the Navy quick to beat the draft before he
finished it. So not really a street machine, but boy did it have legs;
just blew up the steepest slopes into the Sierra at 85 or more in third
without breaking a sweat.

Moose