[OM] Re: Pics of an old log cabin...

Subject: [OM] Re: Pics of an old log cabin...
From: Martyn Smoothy <msmoothy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 00:14:56 -0700 (PDT)
Both the tower & the chancel & the roof are "afterthoughts". The log walls of
the nave are saxon (I believe the latest dendro dates are c. 1060 - not 845 as
shown on one of Dan's pics). Two earlier timber phases have been excavated,
probably beginning in the mid 7th C. I suppose it's the nearest surviving
analogy for a A-S mead hall... mead's a bit sweet for my taste though.....
Cheers