[OM] Re: Olympus Six - to restore or not

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Six - to restore or not
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 14:57:06 EDT

In a message dated 4/27/2007 12:12:09 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I'll  confine myself to the Oly Six.
Well, its intact and complete (e.g.,  bellows, flip-up finder etc), with
its case.  So far, I haven't opened  it up, but the only obvious
mechanical issue is that I cannot cock the  shutter (and I'm not forcing
the little lever).   However, the  biggest disappointment (seller's photo
was taken with it in its case) was  that all the leather (essentially
except for the top plate) has gone/been  removed.  So, it's one sad
looking beast.

Only my opinion . . . and at least it is properly labeled.  If you  could get
it re-covered and functioning properly, it would most likely not be  worth
what you spent for the repairs, however why is that even a question.   You
would
have a nice medium format Olympus camera that most likely cost less  than
$150-$200.  Lets say you use it for a year or two and put it on eBay,  only
recovering 70% of what you spent, your net cost is not much more than the
price of
a movie, popcorn and drinks for you and your wife.

Now you go out and buy an Olympus 330 two lens kit (or any other brand),  use
it for a couple of years and sell it on eBay.  What percentage of your
original cost will you recover? Probably not 70%.  What was your initial  cost?
great deal more thank your Olympus Six.

My discussion is not an either/or conversation, but rather one to put the
question posed into proper perspective.

Bill's advice.  Get it fixed and enjoy it.  You might try  searching out
Certo6 who does repair these types of cameras.  He has done  some work for me
and
I was satisfied with the results.  Someone on the list  did not have the level
of satisfaction  I experienced.

You didn't happen to end up with an extra lens hood for the Six, did  you?  I
need one for my Chrome Six.  Bill  Barber