[OM] Re: Olympus Six - to restore or not

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Six - to restore or not
From: "Walters, Martin" <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:15:02 -0400
Bill:
Thanks for your input. I actually have a Chrome Six IIIa, which I picked
up earlier this year. This one is complete, has very good leather
(though I'm sure it's a little fragile), functioning (I ran a film
through it) though the coating on the lens may not be perfect. Scanned
pictures were quite acceptable.

Re the Six, I will take some time to examine it and decide what to do.
In all likelihood, I will probably get it restored and recovered, though
I'm in no rush. I know there are people in the US that do this type of
thing. I will likely look around to see whether there's someone in
Canada as well.

The purchase was a "Hail Mary", and selling the SRT ought to cover much
of the cost. I agree it would be nice to see such an old camera
functional and "attractive". Your point on real cost is well taken.

As far as hoods go, I don't have one and have never seen one. I
downloaded the Chrome Six manual and it only once mentions a hood and
filter in passing. Something like, "they're fitted over the outside of
the lens barrel where there's a groove". Nothing more, no pictures. I
haven't even looked to see what the OD of the lens is and whether
something else would do. Sorry, can't be more help on that score.

Martin