[OM] Re: Should I use this film?

Subject: [OM] Re: Should I use this film?
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 00:44:49 -0700 (PDT)
I had some enormously out of date (10yr+) K25 movie film that had been stored
unrefrigerated in
non-ideal conditions. I gave it to a friend and although it worked, the colors
were pretty sickly
and there was some base level fog.  I guess the sensitivity of the layers
changes relatively
causing color shifts.

My experience with date expired refrigerated K25 was pretty good. As a student
I used to buy it
near expiration for half price and refrigerate it. I never kept it for 10
years, but it seemed to
work well at least 3yrs out, and that was not in freezer, just a refrigerator.

Many of these processes go at some rate which is about a doubling every 10degC,
so as long as film
did not get wet or anything in storage, from condensation etc, going from a
4degC refrigerator to
-20degC or more freezer should increase life >2^2 or >4 times which takes you
conservatively out
past 12years.

Tim Hughes