[OM] Re: DOF question

Subject: [OM] Re: DOF question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 02:36:15 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The sensor has nothing to do with DOF except insofar as the size of the
> sensor factors into final image magnification.  Also "crispness" and
> "sharpness" are really different things from DOF.  But ignore all that
> for a moment because I'm getting ahead of the story.
>
> <Snip A short lens and DOF lesson>

I think this is a very good start to a lesson on DOF, relatively brief
and accessible.

Now all you need to do is add bits to cover how the cone gets smaller,
giving better DOF, when going to a shorter focal length because the
f-stop is a relative measure, so the actual aperture opening gets smaller.

And then a bit more on how different film/sensor sizes interact with
FOV, fl and magnification necessary for equal subject size and you've
done it. ;-)

Moose