[OM] Re: OT Summricon question

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Summricon question
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 06:37:35 -0400
On 4/28/07, Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Summricon 90/2 arrived yesterday. It's got the stiffest focusing
> mechanisim I've ever encountered, nothing like the 50/1.4 Summilux. While
> it's not terribly difficult, I've never had a lens that hard to turn the
> focusing ring on. I spent an hour while watching television last night
> twisting the thing around, hoping it would loosen up, but it didn't; just got
> my fingers sore. Should I just live with it or go to the bother of sending it
> back? Other than that, it's perfect.

Walt, this is a common problem with this lens.

If memory serves, Leica recommends putting it in a microwave oven for
a few minutes.  Set on high of course.  I think they call it 'goosing
ze grease' or some such.  Careful when you remove it as the metal of
the barrel tends to be a bit hot, especially if arcing occurred during
the goosing process.

hth/ScottGee1

;-J    (that's the emoticon for 'tongue in cheek -- just in case!)

Seriously, it should be very similar to your 50/1.4 with regard to
focusing effort.  If it's not, it needs service.