[OM] Re: [photo] pano

Subject: [OM] Re: [photo] pano
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 20:32:34 -0700
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> Wiliam Wagenaar wrote:
>
> Hi Wiliam,
>
> Thanks for the explanation and for both examples.
>
> Seems to have understood the reason for advising manual exposure: a
> practical one.
> Nevertheless, I perceive your first example more natural than the ones
> with manual exposure, which look 'flat' to me.

You may be mis-attributing cause and effect. Both of the other panos can
look alive. I think the problem with them isn't even exposure across the
individual shots, but something in the progress from exposure to
presentation. I think the individual panels would look 'flat' too.

Le Treport looks well exposed, but the middle tones seem misplaced and
contrast and detail seem low. It perks up nicely, with some greater
sense of detail in cliff and buildings and more overall life in land and
water. Of course I cheated a little with the sky, picking up the blue
component.  :-) http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wagenaar/Pano1.htm

The Corfu pano is much more complex, and there are some sloppy bits, but
it gives an idea of what's in the original images.
http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wagenaar/Pano1.htm
> The first example has shadows where there should be and bright
> reflections where there should be, and the sunlit sky is brighter below
> the sun.

That doesn't seem so true to me. There are parts of the buildings that
are in apparent shadow and others in apparent sun that could not both
come from the sun in only one position in the sky. And careful as Wiliam
has been, there is still a little banding in the sky.

Very fine matching of the edges in the two manual exposure versions,
Wiliam. They look entirely natural to me, like taken with a super wide
angle on a large format camera and cropped top and bottom. Well, except
they don't have the edge spreading distortion of a super wide, so they
are actually better in that way. :-) .

Moose