[OM] Re: [OT] External hard drive question

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] External hard drive question
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:42:15 -0500
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Anyone have experience with external hard drives powered by USB?  My
> recollection is that USB only provides 5 watts total to the bus.  This
> 320 GB drive has to be 3-1/2" and, I would assume, must be drawing a
> pretty fair share of the power available.  What happens if other devices
> on the bus want some of that power too?  Is this a potentially
> unreliable drive solution?

I really don't think the drive would be powered by the bus - the
description is confusing since in one sentence it says "no external
power supply needed" and in the next, it says it includes an AC adapter.

If it's a 3-1/2" drive, most likely it's powered by a wall wart and only
uses usb for data.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon