[OM] OK, need some lens advice here....

Subject: [OM] OK, need some lens advice here....
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 22:59:33 -0500
Several times a year I go to auto races - the NASCAR Busch series races
I go as team photographer, the IRL race as a fan.

I want something with a little more range than my 65-200mm Zuiko on the
E1.  The team pays me to shoot, so I can recoup the cost of a decent
lens. The typical press lens that costs half of what my car did is not
an option, as this is a side thing and not my profession.

I'm comfortable with zone focus - been doing that for years with the OM4ti.

Should I hunt for a longer MF Zuiko, possibly a prime lens, or would I
be happier with the xx-200mm DZ? The main thing I'd like is a reasonably
wide aperture so I can control DOF - it's always nice to pick our driver
or mechanic out of a crowd, or our car out of a pack.

Also, I've been noticing on yabe lately that all kinds of 4/3 adapters
are flowing out of China - you can hang anything from a N*kkor to one of
Walt's fancy-schmancy Leitz lenses on the front of our treasured E1's
now.  Any experience with these, or are they basically crap?  The N*kon
one would give me a fairly nifty assortment of MF lenses to choose from,
in addition to the Zuiko glass.

I throw myself upon the overwhelming depth of experience found here on
the list.  I may also regret that action, but what the hell.
--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon