[OM] Re: OK, need some lens advice here....

Subject: [OM] Re: OK, need some lens advice here....
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 22:24:59 -0700
Paul Braun wrote:
> Several times a year I go to auto races - the NASCAR Busch series races I go
> as team photographer, the IRL race as a fan.
>
> I want something with a little more range than my 65-200mm Zuiko on the E1.
> The team pays me to shoot, so I can recoup the cost of a decent lens. The
> typical press lens that costs half of what my car did is not an option, as
> this is a side thing and not my profession.
>
> I'm comfortable with zone focus - been doing that for years with the OM4ti.

As he got deeper into race photography, whence he has disappeared in C
land, Stephen Scharf came to the same conclusion, and said many, if not
most, of the other folks out at the tracks, including those with the
huge, very expensive lenses, were pre-focusing for the actual race shots.
> Should I hunt for a longer MF Zuiko, possibly a prime lens, or would I be
> happier with the xx-200mm DZ?
But that doesn't add any reach, which you say you are looking for -
unless you get the telextender. It should be good for all sorts of other
uses around a track, but the AF on an E-1 wouldn't be fast enough for
the race itself and you are going with pre-focus anyway.
> The main thing I'dou like is a reasonably wide aperture so I can control DOF
> - it's always nice to pick our driver or mechanic out of a crowd, or our car
> out of a pack.

Have you considered a Tamron SP 300/2.8? A bit of a biggie, has to be
for that fl and aperture, but fast and sharp. When you step up to the
E-510 and gain IS, you'll really be cookin'. There's also an excellent
Tammy SP 400/4, but that's probably going overboard.

Zooms out in that fl range aren't very fast. The Zuiko 300/4.5 is also
slow, so you don't get the DOF you want.
> Also, I've been noticing on yabe lately that all kinds of 4/3 adapters
> are flowing out of China - you can hang anything from a N*kkor to one of
> Walt's fancy-schmancy Leitz lenses on the front of our treasured E1's
> now.  Any experience with these, or are they basically crap?
Not a great deal is required of them. They are simply a spacer with a
female mount for the lens type on one end and a male 4/3 mount on the
other. There was a brief thread in the last 2-3 weeks about them - minor
problems with one seller and recommends for another 1 or 2.

If you go Tamron, you can simply use an OM Adaptall2 and your existing
OM=> 4/3 adapter
> The N*kon one would give me a fairly nifty assortment of MF lenses to choose
> from, in addition to the Zuiko glass.

If you already have the N glass, it's really cheap to get an adapter and
try it out.

Moose