[OM] Re: WTB : Metal hood for 85/2

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB : Metal hood for 85/2
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 10:20:03 -0700
On 5/2/07, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Michael Wong wrote:
> > I wish to get a metal hood for Zuiko 85mm F2. I'm not sure the metal hood is
> > original made by Olympus but sure I do not call the original plastic one.
> > Somebody who are willing to sell his/her metal hood to me, pls contact me
> > off the list. Thanks.
> >
> There was never a plastic hood for the 85/2. In fact, I'm not aware of a
> plastic hood made by Oly for any OM Zuiko lens.
>
> Usually, where there were both metal and plastic hoods made for the same
> lens(s), the older one was metal. The rubber ones are actually quite
> well made, sturdy and good protection of the lens from bumps and bangs.
> The base with the threads is metal, with the thick, high quality, rubber
> part fitting onto front end of the metal part.
>
> I have both kinds for different lenses and generally prefer the rubber
> ones for actual use.
>
> Moose

Didn't some of the AF lenses have plastic hoods?

In general the rubber hoods having threads can be stacked inside of
each other minimizing the space they take when not in use. The rubber
hoods having clamps seem to be the most problematic when not in use
but often allow lens caps to be put on or removed without removing the
hood.

I haven't noticed the rubber hood for the 100/2.8 getting distorted
like some of the rubber hoods, but I don't often carry it.

KEH probably has at least one ... Good luck,
-jeff