[OM] Re: WTB : TTL Auto Shoe Cord T 0.6

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB : TTL Auto Shoe Cord T 0.6
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 12:05:36 -0700
Michael Wong wrote:
> Yes, I want this one. Connection between shoe 4 & T-flash.
Am I confused here? You are looking for an expensive, hard to find (and,
IMHO, awkward to use) TTL shoe cord to fire a flash of fcamera with an
OM-1n?

You want to operate a T series flash with an OM-1n. The OM-1n does not
do TTL. All it does is close a mechanical switch to fire a flash and
have an extra contact to show the flash ready light in the viewfinder.

The OM-1n also has a standard, dumb, PC socket on the front of the body.
So if you want to operate a flash like the T32 away from the flash shoe,
all you need is an adapter like the HAMA Chuck posted a link to. This is
the solution Oly choose with the Bounce Grip2, which has a simple PC
cord built-in (which hides in the bottom of the bracket when not in use)
to connect with an OM-1(n).

If you don't already have the T series flash and don't plan to get an OM
camera with TTL in the future, you can save more money by using any
generic auto flash with a PC cord. With the TTL cords, you are just
paying a lot for extra connections to the flash that don't do anything.

The one design flaw with the T32, and especially the T20, is that the
flash tube is too close to the lens, increasing the incidence of
red-eye. More conventional flash designs that raise the head further
have less red-eye problem.  A flash like the Sunpak auto26SR, which is
what I happen to have, is inexpensive and has tilt/swivel head with
zoom, detachable PC cord (so it's not in the way when used on the flash
shoe) and five step manual power control for the Dr. Manual Flash types.
It's really a better technical match to the OM-1(n) than is a T32, with
the exception of les WA coverage, 35mm vs. 28mm.

I bought a T32 with my OM-2n many years ago, and find it a wonderful
combination, but it's not needed for an OM-1(n).

I do have a TTL Shoe Cord, for use with OMPC bodies, but I can't say I
much like the way the stiff cord sticks straight up from the shoe
connector. The Auto Connector 4 is a much nicer connection to work with.
But I wouldn't use either one with an OM-1n.

Moose