[OM] Re: Spotting scopes

Subject: [OM] Re: Spotting scopes
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 13:28:47 -0700
Jez Cunningham wrote:
> Khen,
>
> I have used my Kowa TSN 60mm spotting scope with an OM (and now with a N*kon
> DSLR)
>
> I bought a dedicated Kowa adaptor (quite expensive, has a least 2 bits of
> glass in it) that has a bayonet to connect in place of the eyepiece and a
> T-series / OM adaptor at the other end to connect to the body.

A $200 adapter for a $365 scope!
> It's engraved " 1:10.4 / 800mm " and you have to set the shutter speed / ISO
> to control the exposure.
>
> It doesn't give as much magnification as with the 40x eyepiece I usually
> use, but it's a fair reach (without it, the best I can manage is a f/2.8
> 200mm plus a x2 converter) so for the occasional bit of fun it's ok, but
> it's not a serious solution to anything.

That's my impression, as well. I don't think any of the scopes with
built-in prism are really suitable for first rate/serious photographic
use. Too many optical elements designed for other purposes involved.

The astronomical origin scopes that are used with diagonals or add-on
prisms for terrestrial viewing work well for photography. Off-hand, I
think of Takahashi and Tele-vue for refractors and Celestron and Meade
for reflectors. I have a Meade mirror spotting scope that works well as
a 1000/11 lens with a simple, relatively inexpensive adapter that screws
to the scope and to a T-adapter. A little low contrast, but thats not
the problem with a digital darkroom that it was before. It has, of
course, the usual donut shaped OOF images as other mirror lenses.

For a zoom long lens with an OM-1, I'd be looking at a Tokina AT-X
150-500/5.6 or Tamron SP 200-500/5.6. I have the Tokina.
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Home/Towhee.htm
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/BayArea/Delta/Falling.htm

Moose