[OM] Re: AG, you are not the only one...

Subject: [OM] Re: AG, you are not the only one...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 21:19:30 -0700 (PDT)
> Ctein is mainly talking about digicams. He puts a $400 top limit on
> the price and expects a published curve without a viewfinder or RAW
> file format. I think he is doomed to disappointment.

Why?  What should it matter?  Excuse my attitude problem, but I think
that's a copout to say that non-DSLRs are excused from published
specs.

> I think Canon publishes their curves in their white papers for
> their DSLRs, but I could be wrong.

Uh huh.  Show me where.

> While I don't think Nikon publishes
> their own curve, it lets you load any custom curve you want at
> least  with certain cameras. There are people who provide their
> own custom curves for nothing and many who provide them for sale.

Except, the response curves of the sensor/support chip output is NOT
published.  At least Kodak DOES publish this information on their
chips.

> One thing I am not clear on is how curves entered into your raw
> converter work.

Two seperate issues.  A RAW file is never RAW.  The voltage-values as
retrieved from the sensor are remapped quite heavily before they are
recorded into the RAW file.

We just had this discussion a few weeks ago.  My challenge to you is
to show me published response charts for ANY digital camera.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com