[OM] Re: The demise of the still camera

Subject: [OM] Re: The demise of the still camera
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 07:25:41 +1000
Indeed - but it's meaningless anyway. There is absolutely no point in
shooting at anything higher than 24 fps as the eye translates
anything over 14-16 into motion. 18fps is adequate if done well.
15fps looks jerky. That's why I don't understand why most compacts
offer frame rates of 15 or 30fps. If they squeked up the 15fps option
just a bit, it would look a hell of a lot better.  It mentions 300fps
- absolutely ridiculous unless you want to do high speed work and
slow it down afterwards for slo-mo replay.
It is possible therefore to base a camera on this which will shoot
24fps and every frame is exposed at 1/25th or faster - i.e., 24
frames @ 1/250th. Or 1/125th. That's perfectly useable. The statement
about 60fps is made to show it's refresh capability, not to make
claims about real world requirements.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx