[OM] [OM]a moment with a E-410

Subject: [OM] [OM]a moment with a E-410
From: marc simon <marc.simon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 12:40:13 +0200
Hi all,
I had yesterday the opportunity to use a E-410, not yet a production one
but close of it.
I use it mostly for a fashion show but also to take some pictures in low
light in a guest lounge.
First impression: it's light and well in hands, there was a 40~150 on it
but I've mostly used my 14~54 and 50~200.
With the 40~150 it's really compact and the combination with the 14~42
must be a good package for hiking.
The viewfinder is clear and not far from the E-1 viewfinder: when
changing  from  one camera to the other was not a big shock.
The autofocus is definitely faster and there is a little red
confirmation light in the zone you have chosen. I mostly use it in
continuous focusing but in the lounge with low light and the 50~200 not
always the best solution so I put it in single AF+manual.
I've used the live view for some pictures but there is a limitation:
there is a too big latency between the moment you press the button and
the moment when the picture is taken for action pictures, not useful for
the decisive moment...but if your intention is to take a picture from up
or down without this "decisive moment" necessity it's really useful. One
thing I've noticed is that when the light is really low the color on the
display seems to fade, like the eye during the night...
I've mostly used it at 800 Iso and it looks good, with less noise than
the E-1...and the image looks fine with good color rendering, I've used
the auto white balance, sometimes it was a little bit false...I've taken
the pictures in Raw+Jpeg, but at this moment I cannot use the Raw...
I've used 1600 Iso for some pictures and it looks really usable and with
some Neat Image treatment quite good.
So it's a good camera, very promising and the 510 with the image
stabilization must be a very good tool.
Of course there will probably be a lot of discussion  about the
technical limitations of the small captor and some specification better
with other cameras...but with that one and my Zuikos (not tested with my
OM ones...) I feel "at home"
regards
marc
bois-de-villers belgium