[OM] Re: New Olympus Odyssey Pictures Posted

Subject: [OM] Re: New Olympus Odyssey Pictures Posted
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 09:37:54 -0700
If anyone wants to participate they are welcome to email me.

The original order that Andrew McPhee had set up forms the basis of what is
shown on the web site. Unfortunately when the cameras started traveling the
US camera went to the frozen north in January where it not surprisingly
didn't yield any pictures. I changed the routing to head south along the
east coast, then along the southern border. Normally as soon as I hear the
camera is about ready to move to the next person, I contact the next two
people that are near where the camera is at the moment. If one of them isn't
ready, it temporarily by-passes him, then will generally head back to him
after the next couple participants.

I have a hard time knowing the weather that others are experiencing. Spring
is over in low land California. We have started summer weather. I look at
Richard's recent photos and see dormant trees without leaves. Some feedback
to know when to have the camera head north would be helpful. Ideally the
camera would be with each participant for one maybe two weekends, then be
sent to the next participant. However I can't see pushing a tight schedule
if it means that the camera will change hands 3 or 4 times and only yield 1
set of pictures. The success of the Odyssey depends upon each participant
making sure that they take pictures within a reasonable time and send them
in. If someone has problems getting scans of pictures, please contact me. My
scanner has been "down" since I got a new computer, but I believe it won't
be too hard to get it going again.

The UK camera has for the last 6 months been moving along without any
involvement from me. Unfortunately I think only 1 out of the last 6? people
that have had it, has sent in any pictures. (THANK YOU CHRIS!) When it is
ready to change country borders, we will need to give some thought to where
it should head. It by-passed Italy and headed to England when one
participant wasn't ready to receive it, and another didn't respond to an
email.

I've been trying to get my 10+ year old web page publishing knowledge up to
date. Xoops looked like a quick way to open up the web to input, including
letting the participants actually post their own pictures and comments, but
I found Xoops has some limitations that would make it a short term solution.
Rails will run on the website, I've read about 200 pages of a Rails text
book, and installed rails on two computers. I'll begin implementing a photo
gallery shortly. As soon as I can get enough functionality I intend to put
it on the Olympus Photography website. Even if I run into a limitation that
makes Rails a dead end, I should be able to recover the information and
switch to PHP or something else. So far Rails looks as if any limitations
will be due to my own lack of ability. The web site is going to be opened up
for input from participants and anonymous viewers. I just can't say how long
it will take me to achieve that. Fortunately some issues which became
significant problems at work have receded, and I have been able to spend
quite a bit of time looking into building a better web site for the last
month or two.

If anyone has any pictures PLEASE SEND THEM IN!

-jeff