[OM] Re: What's a P1?

Subject: [OM] Re: What's a P1?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 12:23:31 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:

> According to Moose, a higher shutter-speed is the answer.  Not that I
> disagree with him, but I do like my options.  And I also like my
> coffee.
I'm sure I didn't put it quite that baldly.

Nonetheless, I still hold that IS, no matter how great, is unable to
compensate for subject motion. So an IS system that allows me to shoot
with two stops slower shutter speed with no increase in camera movement
induced unsharpness is inferior to a camera that allows me to keep the
original shutter speed by increasing iso by two stops with no increase
in noise.

The ideal to me is both, but that turns out to be an elusive goal within
other real world constraints at this moment in time. In the DSLR world,
C & N, are out ahead in sensor performance, but are deeply into their
traditional, lens based IS/VR technology. Although I'm sure both have
prototype sensor shift IS cameras, we won't be seeing them until
something changes in the market. In the meantime, that means that IS/VR
comes at a $ cost, and perhaps more significantly, at a cost in size and
weight.

At the moment, the 5D has enough edge in high iso performance over the P
and S(ex K) bodies with IS that it is at least competitive with them in
effective "IS". I'd like to think the E-510 might improve on that, but
won't believe it until I see the test results.

In the P&S world, the problem is even clearer. Nobody with a low noise
sensor system has IS, so it's one or the other. I've done some overlays
of the standard studio shot from dpreview, and the F30 just stomps the
1/2.5" sensor cameras in resolution and noise by 2-3 stops.

Obviously all the above assumes some other things remain equal, like
lens speed, for example. However, while a big aperture helps for some
kinds of shots, low DOF is not desirable for others, so a camera that
accommodates both options is still more flexible, "better"

So yes, in the current state of technology and the marketplace, high
shutter speed is still the best "IS" and low noise and high resolution
at high isos is still the way to high shutter speeds.

Even a system that tracks subject motion and moves the sensor to
compensate is limited to one primary subject, where high shutter speed
is not.

Moose