[OM] Re: What's a P1?

Subject: [OM] Re: What's a P1?
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 14:50:45 -0500
The whole subject of IS/VR vs. high shutter speeds turns into a discussion
where we are talking past each other. One isn't a substitutue for the other.

High shutter speeds can produce sharp results by stopping action and by
reducing or eliminating the effects of camera motion. If sharpness at all
cost is your goal, that's fine, and either will work. What IS/VR can do,
that nothing else can, is reduce or eliminate camera motion WITHOUT
afffecting subject motion. That can be highly desirable. Many photos are
shot with high shutter speeds that would have looked better at slower
speeds. Good examples are the car and motor racing photos of several of our
members. Judging from the recent photos from AG, there are numerous good
examples of great photos where some subject motion remains, and a few real
clinkers where, although everything is tack sharp, there is no sense of
motion.

Yes, I know, there is such a thing as a tripod. many great shooters of
action sports regularly use monopods. What they have is years of experience
developing the skills required. We don't.

IS/VR is a valuable addition to our toolbox, for which there is really no
substitute.

Bill Pearce