[OM] Re: OM-4 random light leak problem

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4 random light leak problem
From: "Lukasz Grabun" <lgrabun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 09:12:11 +0200
On 5/8/07, chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't have an OM-4 but I dont' think it has a motor drive socket cap.  In
> any case, the
> light leak shows on the bottom of the frame which means that it's at the top
> of the film
> gate in the camera.  Since the leak covers the sprocket area of the film I'd
> say it has to
> be light leaking around the foam seals.  I'd check the foam on the top of the
> back and
> also check to see it the door might be a little bit sprung.  Also check
> around the counter
> resest pin.

Now, that's a detailed analysis. Not that I follow all of it but it
sounds very comprehensive, indeed :)

One question, if you don't mind. You said: "the light leak shows on
the bottom of the frame which means that it's at the top of the film
gate in the camera". For me, it seems somewhat inconsistent. Would
you, please, elaborate on that?

I will check back seals, again, but here are two more details that put
more light into the matter:

[1]. Once I was putting my camera back into the bag, bottom side down,
lens pointing at the blue sky but lens cap was on. I accidentally
pressed shutter release button and made a picture. To my surprise it
turned out to feature the same light leak pattern as shown on a image
I linked to in a previous post.

[2]. One of the "muffle" foam (wasn't able to find a better word for
it), the one that mirror leans on when the shutter is released (there
are two of them, "L" shaped and both are located in the front
"chamber") came off on the end. Nothing serious, the unstuck part has
no more than 2mm of the lenght but I thought it may be worth
mentioning. Now, if *this* is the issue, is it possible to change it
at home without dismantlening the camera, provided I have all the
tools and supplies?

--
Lukasz Grabun
http://www.grabun.com/