[OM] Re: What's a P1?

Subject: [OM] Re: What's a P1?
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 11:43:34 -0400
At 11:22 AM 5/8/2007, Johnny Johnson wrote:

>At 11:45 PM 5/7/2007, Moose wrote:
>
> >Second, I spent a little time with Steven Scharf as he was easing away
> >from OM in favor of EOS as his motorsports expertise and gigs improved.
> >He showed me some examples of panned shots where the vehicle is very
> >sharp and detailed with a strongly blurred background. They seemed
> >effective to me and he said it was a skill one really must develop if
> >trying to make a living at this work. As I recall, he said it worked
> >better without any IS.
>
>Did he say why that would be the case?  Since you can set the lens to
>allow horizontal panning but still stabilize in the vertical
>direction I would have thought the IS lens would still have the
>advantage in that type of shooting.
>
>Later,
>Johnny

What does it mean when you answer your own messages?

Anyway, I decided to do a Google search in reference to using IS
lenses when shooting auto sports.  I found a number of references
that said that IS was an advantage when panning and none that said
that IS made things worse.  Here's a reference, for example, where
the author says to use an IS lens whenever possible when
panning.  It's toward the very bottom of the web page.

<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/racing.shtml>

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson