[OM] 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again

Subject: [OM] 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 16:13:50 +0200
For the last few weeks I have been moaning to myself about the lack of a
really wide angle lens for the E1. This started on a walking holiday
where I carried an OM for wide angle and the E1 with 14-54. People moan
about the lack of choice but I think an E-kit with 7-14,14-54 and 50-200
would preety much cover all my shooting scenarios (after all I am only a
hobby photographer).

I considered the 11-22 but dismissed it as I would always want that bit
wider than it gave and end up buying the 7-14mm anyway.

As far as I see it I have two options
1. look out for a 5D upon which to use my existing wide angles 17,21 and
24 and other quality glass

plusses even with  the fact that the E1 doubles the focal length the
center crop from a 5D would match it close enough as demonstarted by
moose. I would not be committed to one particular brand or mount. It may
also do justice to the 180F2 and I also gain clean high iso

minuses  not weather sealed and potential for sensor dust - body will
become next to worthless quite soon

2. buy a 7-14 and continue using my E1

plusses - weather sealed, solid and with two lenses I cover from 14-108
equiv, throw in a 90f2 and I should have most things covered.
7-14mm should retain some resale value

minuses - stuck with one mount and possibly brand (yes I know its
olympus but hey). poor high iso when compared with above

I am really finding it difficult to get the OM's out these day and when
I do I am so out of practice that I just don't see the same results and
wonder if it is time to totally give up on film, given that I don't have
too much spare time at the moment. I am sure I have enough OM stuff to
sell to raise enough money for either option above.

any comments anyone - I know the list will put me on the right path.

IanW