[OM] 5D, 6D, CS3 (Was 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again)

Subject: [OM] 5D, 6D, CS3 (Was 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again)
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 06:29:35 -0400
Have any notion when this is likely to happen? I had a bad ISO moment
with my E-1 recently that has renewed my determination to abandon
ship, though it's late enough now I suppose I ought to give Olympus a
chance with their E-3/P-1, should it ever materialize. That said,
even weather issues aside, the 5D is starting to look like the best
camera for what I need, and whether I spring for a 6D or get a
bargain on a 5D remains to be seen. Still, that Mark III looks mighty
fine, even at 10MP, because of the apparent marvel factor of each of
those pixels. I don't need that kind of operating speed, and the cost
is nearly prohibitive, but this season in New Harbor started with the
sale of a true 16x20 print framed at 20x24, so I'm getting nervous
again.

Temporary help has arrived in the form of CS3 and Genuine Fractals 5.
For those of you (those very few of you) with Intel-powered Macs, CS3
runs like a scalded dog. I had no idea what fast was in Photoshop
until I fired up CS3. As for Genuine Fractals 5, I've done a couple
of 16x20 prints using it, and I can notice a smidge better IQ vs.
version 4. It's enough to matter, I think, and if I go back to the
original E-1 raw files and work each image expressly to enlarge to
16x20, I think I can get a bit more out of GF5 than GF4, and add a
few more images to the large print bin. It also helps that Adobe
Camera Raw seems to be somewhat improved in CS3. There's a very nice
Recovery feature in ACR that helps recover highlights without the
mucking around necessary with Shadow/Highlight. I've only had it on
the machine for a day now, and I'm still stumbling around.

So, when's the best guess on the 6D?

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com