[OM] Re: Spotting scopes

Subject: [OM] Re: Spotting scopes
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 10:38:25 -0700
Hi Khen,

I didn't respond initially because I don't haven anything that I use as a
spotting scope... but ...

If you're after a camera lens, I wouldn't recommend a spotting scope. You
won't be able to stop down the aperture!. Your focusing has to be perfect.

I have a good variety of catadioptric lenses. Personally I wouldn't count on
any of them that are slower than f6 to deliver a picture of a bird. I have a
Celestron 750mm f6 and a Tamron 350/5.6 which I seem to be able to reliably
focus. The f8 lenses are just too slow to accurately focus.

If I want to get photos of birds rather than just enjoy walking around
trying to take pictures, I take my Tamron 400/4 with a 1.4x teleconverter.
On the other hand I was at Mono Lake trying to take a picture of an Osprey
nesting on a tufa column in the lake. It was quite far away and the photos
were only okay. A ranger stopped next to me with a Kowa spotting scope. He
had a much better view of the birds but didn't get any photos. Five years
ago or so I looked into spotting scopes. There was a then new Pentax 80mm
that got great reviews. The Kowa has been around a long time and is well
regarded by bird watchers. The gear that bird watchers use is much different
from that used by bird photographers.

Good luck,
-jeff