[OM] Re: 5D, 6D, CS3 (Was 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again)

Subject: [OM] Re: 5D, 6D, CS3 (Was 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 22:58:03 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I used to think that Canon was running an 18 month product cycle but it
> has already been 21 months since the 5D was released.  I thought it was
> notable that the 30D didn't have any more pixels than the 20D.  Could be
> the pixel race has just about run its course and some different
> innovation will be required.

Could well be. Also, though, they can hardly release a 6D (or whatever
it ends up being called) before the 1Ds III is announced. A 6D @ 14-16
mp would really make the 1Ds II look overpriced and under featured for
the pro-ams who probably make up a significant number of its buyers. A
lot of them are probably the type AG likes to bash, who need bragging
rights more than the actual capabilities of the tool.

I'll bet C has several prototype 5D replacement release candidates and
are very happy to be able to wait while the 5D sells up a storm at
dropping marginal costs and rising profits.

Moose