[OM] Re: 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again

Subject: [OM] Re: 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 06:28:58 -0400

Moose wrote:
> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>> At the wide end (which I don't use much) I continue to use my OM mount
>> Tokina 17/3.5 and my Zuiko 24/2.8.

> I just got a Tamron 17-35/2.8-4. It gets very positive reviews on FM and
> Mike Johnson choose it for one of his "best of" columns. It's also in
> very short supply in EF mount and those very few that show up selling
> used go for new prices - which seems to me to be like god reviews. I
> missed the first in stock alert from B&H, gone in the few hours before I
> went to buy - jumped on the second one. Not much of  compromise in speed
> and rather small and light for what it is....
 > Oh, the filter thread happens to be 77 mm.

I never saw Johnston's review but had ignored this lens thinking that it
was for small sensor cameras because of the "Di" designation.  I looked
up Johnston's review and he thought the same thing and described it as
for small sensor DSLR's.  But we were both wrong.  Di simply means
"digitally integrated".  "Di II" on the other hand means... well,
somehow it means APS-C size sensors only.  This could be an attractive
alternative to the Tokina 20-35 given that it goes down to 17mm and also
uses 77mm filters.  It also doesn't hurt that it's $50 cheaper than the
Tokina.

>> Maybe Moose's beloved Tamron 28-300 although that strikes me as just too
>> much range in one piece of glass.
> Is that a moral-aescetic judgement - no lens should cover that range,
> it's just not right?  :-)
>
> Or an opinion that a lens with that long a focal length range just can't
> be very good?

It's an opinion that a lens of that range is an optical compromise and
that better performing and faster lenses will have a different
compromise... namely, two or more lenses to cover the same range.  I
note that Tamron does not attach the "SP" designation to lenses with
zoom ratios greater than about 5:1 and most "SP" lenses have zoom ratios
considerably smaller than that.  But the 28-300 may be perfectly
adequate for modest size prints.  I've never even seen one let alone
used one.  For all I know it may outperform my two Tokinas.

Chuck Norcutt